Natural Indigo & Shibori Workshop - virtual live event
Curious about dyeing with indigo?
Join us Saturday, August 21st at 10:30 a.m. PST and dye with indigo from the comfort of your own home! In this virtual workshop, textile artist Hilary L Hahn @hilarylhahn will guide you through the basics of natural indigo dye. Learn how to look for natural fabrics, prep an organic indigo dye bath, and create a personalized design with Shibori fabric folding techniques. You will be starting out with a bandana but there is enough dye to up-cycle an additional piece of clothing. Up-cycle a tee or pillow cases and make them new to you!
In this workshop you will learn:
- the history of indigo dye
- how to mix your own chemical-free indigo vat
- several Shibori fabric folding techniques
- how to prep your pieces for the vat
- care of your items post-vat
We will be creating our dye baths with all natural materials. Your materials for the virtual workshop will be shipped to you within 1-2 weeks prior to the class. Bond with friends and family from anywhere they have internet access while making gorgeous textiles that you can frame or wear!
Your dye kit will include:
- One 100% organic cotton bandana OR tea towel
- Organic indigo
- Calcium Hydroxide a.k.a. slaked Lime
- Shibori tools: clothespins, beads and rubber bands
- Shibori shape pair
- Option to add-on an additional bandana for only $5, please let us know if you'd like additional items
We can't wait to see what comes out of the dye bath!
Note: Class size is limited to 10 students so everyone can receive feedback. This workshop will sell out so register and reserve your spot so you receive your materials in time!
Use this informative workshop as a springboard for our Intro to Natural Dyes E-course! Explore the world of natural botanical dyes in this self paced course. Learn how to choose natural fabrics and the associated processes of dyeing with botanicals while creating gorgeous sustainable pieces for your home or wardrobe!